Take out insurance, both on yourself and on your equipment.

Attend a respectable safety training course and periodically go to refresher courses. Safety courses are provided by the International News Safety Institute (INSI), journalists’ trade unions, and private companies specialising in advising on what to do in violent situations and how to prepare for situations that might become violent.

Equip yourself with at least a minimum of safety equipment, and always have it with you in the boot of your car. The cost of safety equipment and safety training is recognised by the tax authorities as a justifiable professional expense. If your tax inspector does not accept these expenses, report the matter to your union which will take the matter up with the authorities.


Copyright 2017 CIoJ | All Rights Reserved |